Prairie Village Real Estate
Shawnee, Osage, and Kansa Indians formerly owned the land now developed into the City of Prairie Village. As settlers and pioneers headed west, one family decided to make Prairie Village their home. In 1858, Thomas Porter bought 160 acres of farmland. Porter’s children were all raised on this farmland and were engaged in agricultural development and civic affairs.
In the 1940s, J.C. Nichols, an experienced developer, wanted to turn the farmland south of Kansas City into suburban housing for soldiers returning home from the war. Nichols bought the farmland and discovered there were hurdles along the way including a lack of experienced builders post World War II, but this didn’t stop Nichols from pursuing his goal. Prairie Village continued to expand as the Prairie Village Shopping Center opened in 1947 and the Corinth Square Shopping Center opened in 1955. Now, Prairie Village is a bedroom community serving the needs of citizens and families living in the greater Kansas City metro area.
In 2005 Prairie Village was named one of the five best suburb