Painting your home?
You’ve been there… All excited to paint, picked out that ‘perfect’ color. You open the paint can and you notice ‘hmm.. the color looks a little different than it did in the store’. You’re excited, so you put some on the wall thinking as soon as you SEE it on the wall, it will be like the color you thought it was. The paint you bought was expensive too. You’re not going to waste it! It’s on the wall… Gulp. Not what you thought. Maybe it will dry differently? Sigh.
Painting tips to think about…
Whether you’ve just bought your new home, you’re painting a nursery into a ‘big kids’ room or doing some updating on your home, being able to pick the right paint colors for your home can be a challenge. There are some basic tips to ensure that you are being practical and prepared in your painting ‘to-do’s.
1. Most paint stores sell or even mix small sample sizes of paint colors so that you can take them home to see in the room.
- You can paint the color on an 8 x 10 piece of white paper, let it dry and then tape it on various walls to see how it looks.
- Move the painted paper around the walls in the room at different times of day to see how the paint color looks in different lighting
2. Don’t skimp on cost by purchasing the ‘cheapest’ paints.
- Expect to pay around $150 to paint a 12 x 12 space. This should include paint, paint brushes, rollers, pans, tape and even a basic drop cloth to protect your floors.
- A good quality paint will help reduce ‘splattering’ as you roll the paint on the walls.
- Expect that a good quality paint may also held reduce the number of coats of paint you place on the walls. A cheaper paint may need 2-3 coats to help cover the walls, making your paint cost rise for more paint.
3. Place the sample on the wall and see how the paint makes you feel. It is well documented that paint colors can affect your moods. Be aware of the colors you are using in different spaces of your home.
- For a bedroom, does the paint make you feel calm and relaxed?
- Do you have an office color that inspires creativity?
- Is your front doorway area open and inviting?
A fresh coat of paint can wake up your home and make it feel new again! Need help choosing the right paint colors for a room? We found this article on “How to pick paint colors” VERY helpful when we were helping a clients stage their home to be put on the market.